Search This Blog


Review :: Backyard Bliss Sprayable Insect Repellent Lotion From Blissoma

I cannot begin to fully express my disdain for insects.  All of them, really.  And this time of year I'm especially despising mosquitoes; I mean a real hate for those bloodsuckers.  I really try to steer clear of DEET even though it's what everyone uses when it's time for cook-outs, bonfires or camping.  Just the other evening we were at a friend's house for a "grill out" and they were joking that when they spray DEET bug spray on their face that their lips go numb for a few minutes before they regain feeling in them.  What?!?  This is just normal?  And you know what, I kinda don't blame them because when mosquitos are attacking your body and stinging your face at dusk when it seems the attacks are most intense, sometimes you stop caring and just want it to stop.  I think it's a good idea to find an alternative because I don't think regular bug spray is at all good for me or healthy and I think it's much better to use natural ingredients to ward them off.  

Blissoma sent us their Backyard Bliss Insect Spray over a month ago to put to the test.  I like that it is a spray so it can be easily applied to large area and it's very thin so rubbing it in is a breeze.  The smell is delicious - citrusy, thanks to the lemongrass essential oil but with a slight hint of spiciness, likely due to the cedarwood essential oil.  I love bonfires this time of year with friends but cringe whenever I think of the aftermath and all the bites I'm sure to get and the itchiness to follow for days after.  I am always the one who gets more bites than anyone else unfortunately, and Midwest mosquitoes are definitely more potent than the West Coasters.  Some of my bites have swollen to the size of 1/3 of a baseball before and it's not a good look.  Apparently bugs don't like Backyard Bliss because for the most part they steered clear of my insect-attracking skin and I smelled good in the process!  I can't say that I have been 100% bite free while using this 100% of the time but I definitely noticed a substantial difference and it will go with me to the rest of the summer bonfires.   

Image: Fig+Sage

Disclosure: Blissoma sent the product mentioned in this review for the purpose of an honest and candid review.  We don't write about everything we are sent, only those we think are worthy.  Read more about our criteria here. 

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails