Search This Blog

Loading...

Home Decor Inspiration :: Adding Pops Of Color To Counteract Colorless Winter

I've been experiencing a pull towards more color in my home lately and looming winter is causing the feeling to grow stronger. For some reason I lean toward the safe and comfortable - in most things. I typically choose safe neutrals mostly because I think I'm afraid of making the wrong color decision - though I'm drawn to color and it definitely affects my mood. Design decisions don't come quickly or easily for me, but I do love a well put together home with color, interest and life, but lately mine is not feeling that way {except my office, I do love it in there, though still a work in progress} - and I want to change that! So, I'm making a resolution now {who says I have to wait till New Years?!} to add color, pattern and texture to my home before & during winter to bring sunshine in on dark days.These photos are inspiring me to add splashes of color to my home and when I look at them they just make me happy.

via Design*Sponge
Who knew I would love wallpaper so much?!?  If this doesn't say cheerful and welcoming I don't know what does. And all that crisp white trim - love!  This is a perfect blend of old meets new.  My 13+ year old nightstands look very much like this 3-drawer cabinet, except they are currently stained a light honey color.  I think a DIY project is in order for me to paint them black & add new hardware. And I swear I just saw a similar mirror at one of my local antique shops yesterday for just $20 {yes, I think I should go back & get it}.


image: oh happy day
 I'm a daily reader of Jordan Ferney's blog, Oh Happy Day.  She has impeccable style and features fun + stylish event ideas.  I love the way she mixes that floral curtain with striped pillowcases. 

via burrsandberries

While this Scandinavian home is predominantly white, the owner's use of bright colors really make this space refreshing and cheery. 


These colorful recycled glass votive candle holders would add a touch of color and warmth to any kitchen {great gift idea too!}








image: Creature Comforts
I've been obsessing about {what I thought was} the wallpaper I spotted in the studio of Creature Comforts since I first saw it in N.E.E.T Magazine {which is definitely worth checking out}.  I googled and googled to try to find this green leaf pattern wallpaper and where it came from, because I love it - come to find out it is actually an entire roll of wrapping paper she hung from her ceiling.  What a fabulous + affordable idea to bring in color + pattern, without having to commit to the permanence of wallpaper; also great for renters. This paper closely resembles this Ty + Lumi Organics fabric

Check out the 100% recycled wrapping paper from ecosaurus.  Their paper is thick and matte, perfect for hanging on a wall or wrapping gifts.  

image: Door Sixteen

I love this entryway.  Black and white lends itself to refinement while that patterned wallpaper squashes any stuffiness with a "we're glad to have you, come right in!" feel. 

Check out Mod Green Pod's bright and bold wallpapers made with water-based inks on Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper and finished the product with a water-based glaze.


via: Little Green Notebook + Design*Sponge
Are you starting to see a pattern here?  Yes, I know I have a thing for "cut out" type pattern. I didn't realize this until my friend, an artist, visited my home the first time & pointed it out to me. And don't get me started on monograms - I'm crazy about them.  This duvet cover reminds me of chic stationery, and I like that!  And doesn't that blue wall just scream fresh + fun?!

Check out Pottery Barn's 350-thread count organic cotton sateen sheets that can be monogrammed or PB Teen's Organic Duvet Cover + Shams that come in fun colors that can also be monogrammed. 


via Made By Girl + Lonny Magazine
There's absolutely no way I'd be able to pull off this much white in my 3-animal home but it's fun to dream right?!  I think the point here is that I've noticed I'm consistently drawn to this yellow hue and I need more yellow in my life.  This has 'happy' written all over it.  Take THAT winter!!

I'm tempted to go find some matching lamps at a thrift shop, paint them yellow and put them in my guest room.  What a friendly way to greet guests!  {Psst...this yellow closely resembles "Egg Yolk" from Martha Stewart's Low-VOC line at Home Depot...have you tried her paints?  I haven't yet - but I'm curious}. And where, oh where can I find those pillows?!?


via Apartment Therapy

Okay, so yes - these walls are gray but look at those cheery pops of color!!  This room makes me take a long deep breath.  Peaceful, yet friendly + fun. This was the color of my home office when I lived in California  which was great because it was a very bright + sunny room, but after moving to the Midwest and experiencing my first real winter, I decided I wouldn't survive another if I didn't get rid of the gray walls; now a lovely lavender.

Check out Olympic's No-VOC interior latex paint at Home Depot.  They'll colormatch any color for you and the paint is great.  Besides being more eco-friendly than standard paints, it doesn't have that horrendous paint smell - which is a huge bonus in my book. 


via Unplggd
Doesn't the understated wall color make a lovely backdrop in order for all the saturated colors to take center stage?!  And how about that yellow fireplace and colorful rug?!

image: Lonny Magazine via Rubie Green

This Chevron pillow from Rubie Green in organic cotton raspberry print is still on my Wish List.  This alone would brighten up any room!  I also have my eye on The Ellie Bag in the same fabric.

If I could sew, I'd whip up a couple pillow covers with this organic cotton fabric at Spoonflower in berry or teal.


via The Estate of Things + Style At Home

This room has peaceful and feminine written all over it.  "Why yes, tea & scones in bed would be lovely - thank you". 


Wouldn't the West Elm Organic Matelasse Duvet Cover + Shams or Organic Cotton Pintuck Duvet Cover + Shams look lovely on this bed?  And I'd love to find some vintage brocade fabric and make big throw pillows like the ones shown here {that is, if I could sew}. 





So what about you?  Do you find yourself craving more color in your life?  Have you found any wonderful eco-finds for your home that are bright, bold and cheery and just make you happy?  Do share - we'll be reading your comments! 

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails