Search This Blog

Loading...

Non-Toxic Laundry Soap That Grows On Trees?

Imagine for a moment that laundry detergents were required to start listing all of their ingredients on the container they came in. I’m not talking about the classic “enzymes” or “stain penetrants” either, I’m talking about each and every ingredient name used to concoct the product. I’m sure if they did, it would require a background in chemistry to decipher each ingredient, but at least we, the consumers, would be informed. I have personally become much more aware of what’s in (or not in) my laundry detergent since I cut out most chemicals in my personal products and cleaning products. A funny thing happens to the body when it is not inundated by synthetic fragrances all day - it starts to react unfavorably to things it built up an immunity to before. So, as soon as I wasn’t living every day surrounded by chemicals, the less I could tolerate even a walk through the detergent aisle at the grocery store. I used to love it because it smelled like “clean” to me, now it smells like “instant headache.”

Luckily, I have found some alternatives to my beloved, chemical-laden, blue liquid detergent that get the job of cleaning and softening done (without the unfavorable side effects.) I have had a chance to try Maggie's Soap Nuts on my laundry, and I must say, I am impressed. I love the fact that this laundry soap is grown on trees, you can’t get more natural than that! Soap Nuts are actually dried berries from the Chinese Soapberry tree and they have been used to clean clothes for thousands of years. They naturally soften clothes, so no fabric softener is necessary - which means even less exposure to synthetic fragrance. They are 100% biodegradable and great for HE washers since they are low-sudsing naturally - which means less water wasted and no negative impact on our water ways and animals. It also naturally brightens clothes, is great for silk and wool, and completely safe for use on baby clothes - so you don’t need to switch back and forth with different detergents depending on what’s in a specific load. You can wash about 50 loads of laundry with one box of Maggies Soap Nuts and then you simply throw the nuts away or put them into the compost pile. Now you don’t have to wonder what’s cleaning your clothes and where it’s going once it’s done. It’s guilt and headache free laundry, and who wouldn’t love that?

Have you used soap nuts? If so, let us know what your experience has been!

E

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails